Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oh The Love






I've been so wonderfully and excitingly busy these past couple of weeks. Lately, the Town Council here in Lugazi threw our crew of 12 HELP International volunteers a small celebration to thank us for all we have done for their town. We have been so lucky to have the Town Council as a strong support in every project we've done. They gave a few speeches, brought in some drinks and food, and then we all jumped on the dance floor; including the mayor who was hilarious to dance with. Why are Africans so incredible at dancing?
Also, I've been working on helping some local women with minor disabilities to create a soap business. It's been such a good experience for me to learn all of the technicalities of building a business. We only have 9 days left to finalize it, get a building, perfect the soap, create a design, establish management, and to throw an opening celebration in the marketplace to make it known. No worries, it'll be done. Melissa and the town council are helping.
My disabilities class went soooo well this week! They are becoming so hopeful and are improving in their speech and agility. I've been doing home visits all morning with some local teenage girls who are so funny and awesome. We've designed goals with the parents for them and their children and are bringing in another organization from Kampala to give medical examinations and build us equipment that we need for the children on Thursday. Some of these parents don't even know what disability their child has. So I'm really excited for that event.
Also, we finished building a stove at the hospital yesterday. Yet another mud fight. While I was stomping clay, I stepped on something sharp and found a small pocket knife sized blade in my foot. I pulled it out-and it wasn't bad, I think my callouses saved my life. Thank goodness for walking tons. Then I joined some nurses for some delicious passion fruit juice that one of them made. I love these people, they are such hard workers with a desire to help their community. And I love their culture--they value relationships to the fullest extent. I have so many best friends here already! Enjoy the picts--there are plenty more to come!
P.S. oh and Please donate! Your money is already helping me make a huge difference here, I'm so grateful to be able to serve with the help of your generosity! I'm doing all I can to make every penny count. THANKS SO MUCH!! donate at www.help-international.org

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're not dead! :) Just kidding!

    I think Africans are good at dancing because, unlike the U.S. citizens, dancing is all part of their culture. Here, people can decide to dance or not.

    Yikes about the blade thing! Was there any blood drawn, or did it just go through some of your thick calloused skin?

    You're doing great work! Keep it up! :) If I did it the right way, I should've already given you $100.
    -Rich

    ReplyDelete